Sunday, March 9, 2014

Intimacy Part II
The Communication of the Five Love Languages
Introvert/ Extrovert
Gifting Receiving Formation
Quiet
Seeking and Finding

  In early 2011 I ordered a CD of a talk given at the Northwest Catholic home School conference of 2010.  Sculpting Your Communication Muscles given by Tina Crosby.  I listened and then gave away her talk to my two college attending daughters who in turn shared with friends resulting in lively discussions and practice of the communication muscles.


Here are the  "Communication Muscles"
1. Direct: says what is clear and directly. Example: the child in "the Emperors New Clothes". 
2. Narrative:  Narration is formation, Narratives tell stories and drive direct and logical communicators crazy because they take so long to get to the point, and sometimes forget the point.
3. Logic: from point a. to b. to c.
4. Empathetic: listeners.

When I filter Tina's talk through all the other wisdom I have been hearing lately I hear her say that intimacy can be found when we employ, not one, but all the communication muscles, exercising them regularly, hearing how others communicate, and  the practice of appreciation for others' strengths.
                                                      Susan Cain Author of "Quiet"

My daughter Karen attended St. Thomas the Apostle parish in Grand Rapids .  In 2012 she heard these homilies on Intimacy.  A persons understanding of intimacy can really mess up the ability to communicate with others effectively. In the same way that a bad prescription in a pr. of glasses must be corrected by an optometrist, our understanding of intimacy must be transformed and transfigured by Christ. In the intimacy of my union with Christ, every relationship I have can be brought to the Holy Trinity.  The practice of bringing my relationships to God gives me faith, hope and Love for those persons, the event-ual results are unimportant to me,  outside of the fact that EVERY relationship we have with others, is a means of Sanctity, our friends, our family, those we like and those we have no affinity for.   

Fr. Chelich and Tina Crosby inspire this petition: "God, give me the grace to know and give ear to you, speaking to the best Man in me, even when the person delivering the message, is not skilled at communicating, for so often, communciation is not MY best skill!"

 Like Dr. Susan Muto in the quote below, our seeking and finding intimacy with the Lord, He transforms and transfigures not only my own heart but the heart of beloved friends and relatives (and maybe an enemy or two ).  I must entrust to him in the context of my intimate prayer and surrender; an acknowledgment of not understanding God's ways, and admitting to "not knowing what is in a persons heart",  receiving the consolation from God, that he 'thirsts for (my) expressions of Faith Hope and Love'.   In that entrusting, I become more clearly the person he has created me to be, from all eternity. The hidden Jesus comes courageously in view. Friendships and marriages and all other relationships have the potential for transformation in that kind of light.
Have a joyous Ash Wednesday, and praying for your faithful perseverance.



What matters is the deepening of our relationship with our Lord and in the light of that mysterious intimacy all else eventually works itself out. ~~Susan Muto~~



No comments: