Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ouch! The Affect of Formatitive Catholic Public Figures

It is 21012, we are in an election year.  Republican Candidates were mostly Catholic, in the beginning.  Now only one remains because Rick Santorum "suspended his campaign".  I wondered why that phrase was being used, only to find out that "pulling out" is what many who oppose him "wished his father had done" before he was conceived.  Repeating that very base comment is not pleasant for me. I found similar comments on two Facebook wall posts this morning.  It isn't obvious to those who would post such an awful comment, that shedding light on their own vile selfish practices does not make the acts attractive or acceptable.  "The family jewels are mine and I will not, do not want to... gift them to the world and I wish everyone else would just waste the same. Don't tell me not to enjoy them anyway."  ICK!!!!  

When a voter who is attached to selfishness in the forms of artificial; deathly coercive forms of birth control, see an image of Senator Rick Santorum, the picture above is what they see.  (Not that "pulling out" is deathly, but it certainly says "no" to the God who created them and invited us in joy to bear fruit and multiply!) Santorum's life is a contrast to their own, a contrast they don't want to see. He calls them out unwittingly, it makes them mad.   They take in Santorum's image through the filter of their own known selfishness.  "Ultimately, the candidate [I vote for] has to protect my right to seek pleasure where I choose to seek it."

Rick Santorum stands for "the More Than" pleasure.  He stands for responsibility.  Libertarians want to promote and protect pleasure seeking avenues thinking that if everything is legal; drugs, prostitution, sodomy, what ever, we wont have so much crime..? or something.  The ire is awakened when a man comes on the scene who lives a life opposed to libertarian views, his is happiness is rooted in traditions that nurture the dignity of the human person, not it's self centered pleasure seeking ways.  

It's about time that the foundation of our civilized society is examined! What are our presuppositions about the human person? What is our attitude about the future, do we welcome life? Is the human being a burden or an image of God; potential Faith Hope and Love?  If the ultimate attitude is "I love my kids BUT don't give me any more God, I must deny you my reproductive potential because I am done."  *** The ultimate belief is.... "human beings are a burden that I can not carry."   As if God intended you to carry the fruit of your married love from the moment of conception to the dying day of that fruit, on your shoulder!!! How preposterous!  The events and political figures of this day are forcing us to examine and speak like we have never done before.  Crass personalities can not get by with degrading statements without conservative voices answering, or reflecting back how crass and undignified the meaning and consequences of those statements are.  A Joyful dignified life demands that we give answer; shedding light on the darkness we must!

*** I am not referring to a prayerful attitude evaluating gifts and limitations and determining that adding to the family is not a wise direction, there fore abstinence is the temporary direction for fertile times, I am talking about the man or woman who wishes to indulge without inviting God's creative potential into the union.

I would rather contemplate Santorum's faith/practice in the dignity of the human person, than share in the pleasure seeking affection for humanity, that the men below possessed.

1 comment:

Mrs. David Mannino said...

Today my daughter came home from the community college and shared that she was "trolled" at school. I didn't know what she meant. She explained that in class the population control issue came up. She stated the truth and a young man ridiculed her. She was not able to defend herself because the young man was not listening. This battle over dignity is a life long one. My daughter is angry that she has a difficulty articulating the truth. I don't know if that is the case, but it is hard to stomach that so many prefer the lie about humanity, they have made themselves deaf. Is God really calling me to this cause or am I just mad?